Friday, October 16, 2009

He's Confident (and then Frustrated...)

“The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.”

“Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

“Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

“And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak.”

(Luke 9:22, Luke 4:21, John 2:19, John 12:50)

So today we’re doing the Jesus who is confident and strong in His beliefs. He really had to be: if some guy walked up to me, asked for a drink of water and then told me the story of how I had four husbands so far (this is an actual example from Bible), I would have two thoughts. 1. This guy is crazy. 2. He’s God.

So because Jesus is God, He had to be pretty strong in His belief in God and who He was. It seems like every other chapter in some of the gospels that people are trying to either kill Him directly or make Him fall into a trap so they can kill Him.

Before I give the last verse, I just wanted to remind everybody to not take these verses as advice. Unless you really, truly feel led (and consider this prayerfully), don’t go and tell people to demolition the church and you’ll build it up in three days. (Although I somehow doubt any pastor/deacon would listen to you…)

Luke 9:41
“O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here.”

This wasn’t enough for a full post, but I liked this verse. It humanized Jesus for me.

At first I kind of smiled. It sounded like something I would say, because I was just fed up with people. Then it occurred to me: ‘o faithless and perverse generation’ is us. He’s frustrated with me and the rest of the world.

In His Service (because serving anybody else is silly),
Joyce

No comments: