Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Come Thou Fount

Robert Robinson, 1735-1790

Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.

2 Samuel 24:14 David said to Gad, “I am in deep distress.
Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is great...”

Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

Psalm 34:1-2 I will extol the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips. My soul will boast
in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.

1 Samuel 7:12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between
Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying,
“Thus far has the Lord helped us.”

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd. The good
shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

Psalm 31:19-22
What a stack of blessing you have piled up for those who worship you,
Ready and waiting for all who run to you to escape an unkind world. You
hide them safely away from the opposition. As you slam the door on those
oily, mocking faces, you silence the poisonous gossip. Blessed God! His love is
the wonder of the world. Trapped by a siege, I panicked.
"Out of sight, out of mind," I said. But you heard me say it,
you heard and listened.

Just a little history behind the song:

Robert Robinson, author of the song, was only 8 years old when his father died. When he became too much for his mother to handle she sent him to London so he could become the apprentice for a barber. Soon afterwards he began drinking and gambling...At the age of 17 Robert went to a church sermon intending to make fun of what was happening, but what he heard there he would always remember. Three years later he was saved, and he became the pastor of a church in England where he wrote this song for a sermon.

Robinson had a tough life, and he really understood how much God had done for him. This song is a song of pure praise, thanking God for the tremendous blessings, mercies, and grace he provides for his children each and everyday. We do nothing to deserve this steadfast love; at times, we are even “prone to wander”, “prone to leave the God I love” yet God keeps on loving us as much as he always has and always will. Today keep in mind that no matter how much you mess up, or how stressed out you are that you will always have a God that loves you and cares for you no matter what!


http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh400.sht

No comments: