Thursday, June 3, 2010

Enlightened Eyes

Psalm 13:3-4
Consider and hear me, O LORD my God;
Enlighten my eyes,
Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest my enemy say,
"I have prevailed against him";
Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.

"Father, thank You for this reminder that we're not the only ones who feel as though they need You to fight of their enemies. David asked You to help him, in case he died and his enemies said that they beat him, or rejoiced when he leaves. Father, help us to see You when we face our own enemies. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

David is a pretty easy guy to relate to, I think. Here, he has an enemy that he thinks he needs God's help to deal with. He doesn't want God to strike them down with lightening or anything. He just wants God to give him understanding, so that he doesn't die and his enemies rejoice.

When we are facing our own enemies, we need to do what David did. Ask God for wisdom and enlightenment, so that our enemies don't rejoice when they've defeated us.

But also, we should be encouraged: we're not the first to be against such enemies. David did it first. And he succeeded. If God is our strength, we can too.

In His Service,
Joyce

Response Question: Define 'Enlightenment' in the way it's used here.

No comments: