Monday, March 29, 2010

What Has to Happen First, Before We Teach Others?

Jeremiah 13:1-7 NKJV
Thus the LORD said to me: "Go and get yourself a linen sash, and put it around your waist, but do not put it in the water." So I got a sash according to the word of the LORD, and put it around my waist.
And the word of the LORD came to me the second time, saying, "Take the sash that you acquired, which is around your waist, and arise, go to the Euphrates, and hide it there in a hole in the rock." So I went and hid it by the Euphrates, as the LORD commanded me.
Now it came to pass after many days that the LORD said to me, "Arise, go to the Euphrates, and take from there the sash which I commanded you to hide there." Then I went to the Euphrates and dug, and I took the sash from the place where I had hidden it; and there was the sash, ruined. It was profitable for nothing.

The sash was a picture lesson for Jeremiah. He goes on to talk about how the sash was a metaphor for the prideful people of Israel and Judah. This wasn't necessarily a picture message for everyone. This isn't a story Jeremiah was telling to a congregation. This was a few days with God, just Jeremiah and God. God was trying to help Jeremiah understand what was going to happen and why. (I think Jeremiah tended to be the softy of the prophets, right? Can someone confirm or deny that?) Why was God making sure that Jeremiah knew what was going on?

Jeremiah 13:12
"Therefore you shall speak to them this word: 'Thus says the LORD God of Israel: "Every bottle shall be filled with wine." '

God had something for Jeremiah to tell the world. But in order for him to explain it to the people, Jeremiah had to understand what was going on first, which is why God had Jeremiah do that picture message.

In order for us to explain something about God or explain a Bible verse, we have to understand it ourselves, first. We have to understand the basic spiritual truths before we can explain them to others. That doesn't mean we know every detail of Revelation or know where God came from or whatever. But we have to know that Jesus died for us in order to bring someone else to Him. It's kind of like the airplane safety. Take care of yourself first, and then help the person next to you. It isn't selfish, it'll help you help the other person


In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: