Monday, November 2, 2009

Our Praises

Random Chapter Day!
Psalm 138
I will praise You with my whole heart;
Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my soul.

So, on this beautiful Monday morning after a time change, this is our random chapter. This is a psalm of praise (obviously) so what can we pull from this?

"And praise Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth; for You have magnified Your word above all Your name."

Okay: which would rather hear from your friend.
a. I like you.
b. I like you because you are nice.
c. I like you because you are nice, like when you had patience for so-and-so...

I would rather hear c, personally, and I think most people would agree. So why is God different? Do you think God would rather hear:
a. I praise You.
b. I praise You for this day.
c. I praise You for the beautiful day in Your world, because I can go out and live my life for You of my own free will....

Sometimes in our prayers, we only say the first one, and move on. Usually, that's all I do. But lately, as I'm praying I come up with something to praise Him for, and try to find something different every night. If I'm praying He'll bring peace to a situation, I praise Him for knowing everything about everyone, for example.

David never just said, 'Thanks, God.' He says, 'Thanks, God...' and tells exactly what God did for him.

In His Service (for there's none who it's move valuable and rewarding to serve)
Joyce

No comments: