Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Holding Onto Mission

Amos 7:12-17
Then Amaziah said to Amos: “Go, you seer! Flee to the land of Judah. There eat bread and there prophesy. But never again prophesy at Bethel, for it is the king’s sanctuary, and it is the royal residence.”
Then Amos answered, and said to Amaziah: “I was no prophet, but I was a sheep breeder, and a tender of sycamore fruit. Then the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said to me, ‘Go, prophesy to My people Israel.’ Now therefore, hear the word of the LORD: you say, ‘Do not prophesy against Israel, and do not spout against the house of Isaac.’
Therefore thus says the LORD: ‘your wife shall be a harlot in the city, your sons and daughters shall fall by the sword; your land shall be divided by survey line; you shall die in a defiled land; and Israel shall surely be led away captive from his own land.”

Good morning/afternoon/evening on this beautiful morning/afternoon/evening God has created for us!

Amaziah (that’s such a cool name!) was trying to get Amos to leave Bethel. He was trying to get Amos to stop prophesying to those who God told Amos to prophesy to.

Amos told him the truth. ‘I was nothing, but God gave me a mission. I am going to do what He told me to do’.

So how does this apply to today?

Let’s say that God told you to be a missionary. That was His Plan for you. (Kiara really is called that direction, so she’s going to be my example for today). Now, let’s say, hypothetically speaking, our social studies teacher tells her that Russia is too dangerous for her, and that she should go to Madagascar instead. She knows one of the languages, it’s beautiful, and she would love it there.

What should be Kiara’s response? “I was nothing, with no plan for my own life, and then God came and told me to go to Russia as a missionary. I’m going to Russia.”

Have a great day and show Christ’s love in all you do.

In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: