Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Humble Servant

"See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest ,and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."

"What do you want Me to do for you?"

"Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth."

"My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work."

"And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges."

"If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, 'I do not know Him,' I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word."

(Matthew 8:4, Matthew 20:32, Mark 1:38, John 4:34, John 8:50, John 8:54-55)

You really can't talk about Jesus without mentioning the whole humble servant thing. I mean, the Man comes down from heaven just to teach us and save us, He's of a virgin birth, conceived by the Holy Spirit... He has every right in the universe (which, by the way, He made) to make us serve Him.

But He didn't. He came as a humble servant, and we are to follow His example.

1 Peter 2:21
For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.

Please don't take these words as spiritual guidance before you put them into context and read the whole story. If you need that, just know that Jesus loves you, that He died for you, and that He wants us to love Him, too. The only other thing I can tell you is that by reading a gospel, you'll know Him so much better and He will comfort you through anything.

He came to serve us, but we know now that there is no greater joy than to serve Him. That's why I sign off of my posts with 'in His service', because I serve Him, and there is no other worth serving.

In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: