Friday, June 11, 2010

Faithful and Just to Confessors of Sin

1 John 1:8-9 (www.biblegateway.com) NLT
If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

We can't say that we don't have any sin. If we do, we're just fooling ourselves and we're not being honest. It's a lie. We're putting on a little show for ourselves and convincing ourselves that the way we live is perfectly fine because it isn't hurting anybody, but it is hurting somebody. It's hurting God. We hurt God when we sin. Thus, the bad news.

Here's the Good News: if we admit to God that we're sinners, He'll forgive us and not only that, but He'll also cleanse us of our sins! Why would He just forgive us, after we hurt Him time after time, year after year? Because God is faithful to us. He loves us.

So where's the catch? This God just loves us, so He's going to forgive us for all the grief we've given Him without an apology or even an acknowledgement that we did it, clean us from it, and let us through the gates of heaven? Almost.

God wants us to admit that we're sinners. He wants us to acknowledge that we sinned against Him. How do you do that? This prayer:

"Lord, I confess that I am a sinner, worthy of being cast forever from Your Presence. But I also know that Jesus died for me, that I can be forgiven for all my sins. I acknowledge that Jesus died and rose again on the third day, because He was sinless. I, however, God, am not. I ask You, Lord, to forgive me for my sin, wash me clean of it, and come into my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

In the beginning of chapter 2, John talks about how Jesus is our Advocate in Heaven with the Father. He will speak up for us when we come through those gates to answer for whatever we did in this life. But if you said this prayer today, or yesterday, or in the past, He will speak for you, and tell the Father that you are one of His. If you didn't say that prayer, then Jesus won't do that for you.

Why would a loving God do this? Better question: Why would a loving God reward everyone with Heaven, if some people never even acknowledged His existence?

In His Service,
Joyce

Response Question: Thoughts on verse ten?

No comments: