Friday, November 6, 2009

Food!

John 4:34-38
Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work. Do you not say, ‘There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. For in this the saying is true: ‘One sows and another reaps.’ I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors.”

This just so happens to be my morning devotional for today. I had written down in my journal months ago, so it’s interesting when we do it I’m studying that chapter.

What a good life motto: My food is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish His work. If I could adopt that half as well as Jesus does, I would be pretty proud of myself (and therefore at the beginning again…)

There are a lot of things we could apply here, and I’m going to choose witnessing. I had a friend who went to a different high school suddenly. I had been trying to witness to her, trying to help her, for a few months at that point. Then she left, and I felt like I had missed a huge opportunity to bring her to God. But one sows, and another reaps. I might have sown the first few seeds, but someone else will be called to reap the benefits of whatever little bit of love I showed her.

Isn’t it amazing that God has an intricate plan for everyone? Something I say to a non-Christian friend will later affect him, whether he realizes it or not. That’s part of the reason why it’s so important to be loving: when we meet those who reaped the seeds in a friend of ours (Heaven), wouldn’t you like to celebrate God’s intricate plan with them, instead of wish you had loved that person enough to have made the next person’s job a little easier?

Another Touched by an Angel lesson: just because our witness/lovingness fails, doesn’t mean that a. God doesn’t love us or b. that person will be scarred for life. God does still love us, no matter what. And He will still send someone into that person’s life later on, to help them come to Him.

Have a great day, and let God’s light shine!

In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: