Saturday, October 10, 2009

Why God Blesses Us

Ezekiel 34:17-31
"As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and male goats. Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture, that you must tread down with your feet the rest of your pasture; and to drink of clear water, that you must muddy the rest of the water with your feet? And must my sheep eat what you have trodden with your feet, and drink what you have muddied with your feet? "Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD to them: Behold, I, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you push with side and shoulder, and thrust at all the weak with your horns, till you have scattered them abroad, I will rescue my flock; they shall no longer be a prey. And I will judge between sheep and sheep. And I will set up over them one shepherd my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd. And I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them. I am the LORD; I have spoken.
"I will make with them a covenant of peace and banish wild beasts from the land, so that they may dwell securely in the wilderness and sleep in the woods. And I will make them and the places all around my hill a blessing, and I will send down the showers in their season; they shall be showers of blessing. And the trees of the field shall yield their fruit, and the earth shall yield its increase and they shall be secure in their land. And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I break the bars of their yoke, and deliver them from the hand of those who enslaved them. They shall no more be a prey to the nations, nor shall the beasts of the land devour them. They shall dwell securely, and none shall make them afraid. And I will provide for them renowned plantations so that they shall no more be consumed with hunger in the land, and no longer suffer the reproach of the nations. And they shall know that I am the LORD their God with them, and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Lord GOD. And you are my sheep, human sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Lord GOD."

"Father, thank You for these words. Thank You that You will keep us safe, like this passage says. We are the sheep, You are the Shepherd. May we remember that You lead us as a shepherd does: with love and a desire to protect. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezek+34.17-31;&version=ESV; was where I got the passage this time. It was just too long for me to type.

So, these verses are about how God will take care of His flock. The first half of the chapter is God speaking to the 'irresponsible shepherds'.

Notice why God says He does these things. He's helping them, so that they won't be devoured by others. God has a greater plan for everyone in the world. When He helps us, He is doing it for us, but He's also doing it because it will glorify Him and get His plan done. When I first read this, I was confused. Doesn't God do things for me?

He does. But He does everything for a reason. Maybe that blessing will help you do His Will later on, or maybe others will see what He's blessed you with and say 'someone's watching over her.' But there's always a greater purpose to everything He does.

In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: