Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Names, Part 2

Nobody voted on last weeks, which makes me sad, so I’m going to run it again.

My lesson today is from a book called Tortured for Christ, by Richard Wurmbrand. Normally, I don’t like Bible
Studies without Bible verses, so this isn’t a Bible Study. It’s a story of love, under the worst of circumstances. The writer went on to found the Voice of Martyrs ( http://www.persecution.com/ ). Scroll down (after clicking on the link) to get a free copy of the book.

The excerpt I’m using is from page 57. “A minister who had been horribly beaten was thrown into my cell. He was half-dead, with blood streaming from his face and body. We washed him. Some prisoners cursed the Communists. Groaning, he said ‘Please, don’t curse them! Keep silent! I wish to pray for them.’”
The book is about Wurmbrand while in prison for preaching the gospel in Romania. For years, he was beaten, interrogated, and told to renounce Christ. He never did.

The theme he repeats through the book is that while he did this and got out, many don’t. And many still don’t. I hope you will join me in praying for those who are persecuted for their faith in God.

Hebrews 13:3
Remember the prisoners as if chained with them-those who are mistreated-since you yourselves are in the body also.

(Wurmbrand, Richard. Tortured for Christ. Living Sacrifice Book Company, Bartlesville, OK: 1967.)


These three Obscure Biblical Characters (who have nothing to do with the previous lesson) are:
-children of a minor prophet
-God used them as part of their father's prophecy
-their names mean 'the land where I will take revenge', 'no mercy,' and 'not my people'

It is in one of the following books
Hosea
Joel
Micah
Nahum

I think that you should reread last week's very carefully, including the lesson from last week's, and look for a hidden hint.

In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: