Thursday, September 10, 2009

Drink up!

Another Obscure Biblical Character day!

So last week the character either was yelled at by Peter for not following Christ, or he had a body part cut off, according to everybody. This character was... drum roll please... Malchus!
The thing I love most about Thursdays is that I can say the name and it usually means absolutely nothing.
Malchus was a servant of the high priest when they came to arrest Jesus. Peter, trying to defend Jesus, drew his sword and cut of Malchus' ear. Then Jesus says the ultimate 'follow my destiny' line.

John 18:11
So Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?"

So since this character met Jesus (and I promised that Jesus would never be on this night), the lesson comes from Him (bible study....lessons from Jesus. Who knew?). Jesus knew he was going to be crucified. He knew that Judas was going to betray Him, He knew that this exact scene would come up. And when Peter tried to defend Him, He answered 'This is my destiny, shouldn't I follow it? Stop fighting My destiny!'
If we know that God wants something in our lives, shall we not drink the cup which our Father has given us?

So this next week:
The character is
-a son of Haggith
-had a big party but didn't invite his brother, the 'mighty men' or two of his fathers' closest friends.
-Solomon had him killed by the hand of Benaiah

So the poll this week is what they did at this party that they didn't invite aforementioned people to. The fact that Solomon is involved narrows the book down to two books.

In His Service,
Joyce

No comments: