Friday, June 25, 2010

The Way, The Truth, And The Life

John 14:6 ESV
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Jesus said this in response to Thomas (Doubting Thomas, as he would later be known as). Thomas asked the question, "If we don't know where You're going (Jesus was talking about heaven, but they weren't catching on right away. Thomas still thought that he had to find a path to follow Jesus to a physical place on Earth), how can we follow You?"

So how can we follow Jesus if we can't see where He's headed? How are we supposed to figure all this out?

We don't have to find a way, we have one. We don't need to find a truth, we have one. And we don't need to find a life, because we have one. Jesus is all of these things for those who believe in Him.

Jesus says to Thomas, 'you can't follow me here on your own. Nobody gets to God if he doesn't go through Me, first. Nobody can really come to Him to pray or whatever, if they don't know Me.'

So if you want to get to the Father, you have to go through Jesus. How do you do that? With this prayer:

"Father, I know that I am a sinner, worthy of being cast from Your presence. But I also know that Jesus came down and died for me, and then He rose again for me. God, I know that my sins were wrong, and I pray that You will forgive me for them and come into my life, not because I deserve it, but because Jesus died for me. Thank You for this gift of salvation, God. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

In His Service,
Joyce

Response Question: Why is it important that we don't take this verse out of context?

No comments: